Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A to Z of social networking

My current library website is a pretty sad thing to behold. It's a static page that is only a pathway to the catalog and the databases. It offers no content, does not create a sense of community or connect with the community in any way. Yes it works, does it offer anything other than a path? No. Obviously, this needs to change as soon as possible. I'm really lucky because the library and technology departments are integrated and I work with several savvy and creative tech guys. Redesigning the library web page is already in the pipe line, it's just a matter of time. This brings me to the first letter or the A to Z's - "H" - for help. The advice offered is to create the web page as a group. Create a team and work on the re-design collaboratively. I fully intend to follow that advice. I don't think I need to elucidate all the reasons its a good idea to work with a team. The 2nd letter I'd like to focus on as soon as possible is "B" for blog - starting a library blog would be a really easy and free way to make the library more relevant immediately. The blog can serve as an interface to share book reviews, interesting videos, school news and events, new materials in the library etc. A blog would allow the library team to create content really easily and also allow patrons to post content with the oversight of a librarian. A blog is a very immediate way to connect the library to the greater community and since we already have a community email , it would be extremely easy to advertise the blog and share new content with the entire community. The 3rd letter is "C" content, as I've already stated - the web page doesn't have any content currently so adding anything at all would be a huge improvement. The 4th letter is "G" for good reads. I think adding book reviews, patron and published, linking to book review websites, adding Library Thing, and advertising new materials in the library is an extremely important service for our community. With all the bells and whistles a library offers, one of out primary missions is still to connect a patron with a book.  My final letter is "R" for reference - I really like the idea of bringing reference services into the 21st century by utilizing "ask a librarian" service through text messaging, instant messaging, and Facebook. My students, being teenagers, spend most of their days with texting, IMing, and on Facebook it seems obvious that we should offer reference services through the venues they use.

No comments:

Post a Comment